Stand Alone Servers
2006 NCCIA Conference
What Are they?
- Self-contained web servers
- Most are WAMP (Windows/apache/mysql/php)
- Temporarily opens a port and temporary drive
What are their benefits?
- Installation not required (ussually)
- Self-contained... no network support needed (each student is in charge of their OWN server)
- Transportable (can run off a pc, or USB drive, or Flash memory stick)
MSAS - Mambo Stand-Alone Server & OTHERS (PC) ***
- Mambo StandAlone Server (part of the Mambo CMS project)
- LimboServer, a lite mambo without MySQL
- JoomlaServer, a new version of the MamboServer (written to host Joomla sites)
Lets get going!
- MAMBOstandaloneServer.zip - unzip... run, and presto... a server!
- LimboServer.zip - limboServer (link), a lite mambo without MySQL
- Installer (online) - JoomlaServer, a new version of the MamboServer
Mambo standalone server has practically revolutionized how to create dynamically driven web sites using a local host computer. just run the application, it instantly you have a WAMP server (Windows/apache/mysql/php) running with mambo open-source content management system preinstalled. But... it doesn't stop there. You can test PHP scripts, install databases, manage databases with PHPMyAdmin, and just about anything else that you expect on a web server.... but you can write it off a CD, or a flash drive.
If you need a slimmer server, and only need access to PHP, (not to mySQL), try limboserver instead.
DWebPro Stand-Alone Server (PC) ***
- InstDWebPro-deploy.zip - unzip and run! (server can also run off of CDROM... but careful, you can't save any files to it)
- Installer (online) -
- www.dwebpro.com/addons.php - also you can get lots of addons (just check the addons page)
Installing the Moodle Demo:
- download Installer (online) and run
- Download and install the following packages from www.dwebpro.com/addons.php
- php (v4)
- phpMyAdmin (optional)
- Copy "deploy" folder from c:DWebPro/deploy to USB drive
- Double-click DwebPro.exe on USB drive and enjoy!
DWebPro is a stand alone web server developed specifically for distributing dynamic web sites (for example PHP/MySQL, ASP.Net/Ms Access) on CD or DVD without needing to rewrite the web site code. With DWebPro, your company can easily create CDs or DVDs demonstrating the amazing capabilities of your web site, all while never being connected to the Internet.
Most only support PHP and Perl or PHP and ASP/ASP.Net but none of them comes even close to supporting all of them the way DWebPro does. Also, DWebPro can support the standard CGI and ISAPI interfaces, so you can distribute your PHP, Perl or any other server side scripting engine you currently have on your web site.
You may be worried that DWebPro doesn't support the database or the scripting language your web site uses, but there is nothing to worry about. DWebPro supports more database servers (running directly from CD/DVD), than ANY of the other software programs on the market.
DWebPro is an application conceived for distributing dynamical web sites on CD/DVD. DWebPro includes:
- A web server, called primary web server, which includes support for CGI/ISAPI (ASP Classic 3.0, PHP, Perl, Python, etc.).
- A web server which includes support for ASP.Net (see the "ASP.Net Compatibility" document).
- An server SMTP for sending emails (not included in the DWeb). .
- The interface for managing third parties databases (DBs). At this moment, MySQL, SQLite, Ms Access e Firebird (also embedded), PostgreSQL and HSQLDB.
- A cron job cron job management system.
- An interface for the JSP/Servlet that uses Apache Tomcat.
It supports Windows 95, 98, 98 SE, NT 4, ME, 2000, 2003, XP and Vista operating systems.
Under Windows 95 it's required the Winsock 2.0 upgrade that can be downloaded for free from Microsoft website. For ASP Classic 3.0 support under Windows 95 and NT 4 it's needed Internet Explorer 5.0 or above.
Why are there two separated web servers?
Since ASP.Net is a closed technology, owned by Microsoft Corporation, this makes it difficult to integrate it in a single web server, especially if it must be a stand-alone server, i.e. non-related to the installation and configuration of the operating system on which it will be executed. This is the reason why the solution of implementing two separated servers had to be chosen.
Xoops Stand Alone Server
PHP Scripts to Test
- First, see all files! - index0r - v0.7.zip
- cookie1.php & cookie2.php
- CMS (Website baker) - www.websitebaker.org/2/home
Other places to get scripts: